Mathematics can be hard. And confusing. And frustrating. But only if we do not understand it. In reality, Mathematics is an amazing and beautiful thing.
- You need Mathematics in your everyday life.
- Mathematics challenge your mind. And that is a good thing. First, the human body is prepared to develop amazing abilites. And second, life would be extremely boring if everything was too easy.
- Mathematics is the only thing that is the same all over the world.
- Mathematics have never been proven wrong, no matter what.
- Mathematics is about intelligence. To be good at Mathematics, we do not memorize things, we understand them, LEARN them and then apply them.
- Great philosophers saw Mathematics as the bases for all knowledge.
- Mathematics is just like a game! You have to play by the rules in order to win. And cheating will not lead you anywhere.
Of course, I struggle, like most people, when learning Maths. Sometimes teachers are not able to give good explanations on the subject or to help each student individually, because classes are so crowded. Sometimes it is difficult to learn Mathematics just by reading books about it and sometimes we have to solve problems without even knowing how. I am sure you also had that one test for which you studied as hard as you could but still your grade was not the one you expected.
I am about to do a Mathematics test this week. While I was studying, I came across a difficult problem. I could not solve it the first time, nor the second, nor the third. But after trying and trying and having to search in my notebooks and even on the how to solve that kind of exercise, I managed to build the right answer. And then I realized… “I love Maths!”.
Galileo once said:
Philosophy [nature] is written in that great book which ever is before our eyes — I mean the universe — but we cannot understand it if we do not first learn the language and grasp the symbols in which it is written. The book is written in mathematical language, and the symbols are triangles, circles and other geometrical figures, without whose help it is impossible to comprehend a single word of it; without which one wanders in vain through a dark labyrinth.
I realized Mathematics is about trying and trying and specially never giving up. Remember: If you keep trying, and if you like Maths, you will manage to understand the intrincate book of the Universe someday…